Free to a good home

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Back

Wow. I forgot about this.
Re-reading that last post made me think about some things I haven't thought about in a really long time. I'm back at Beloit, and it's comfortable. I like the Women's Center. I like the parties and the bubble and the familiarity and even some of the people. And even if I didn't, here I am.

I don't actually have that much to say. I have absolutely no idea what happens next, but at least now I know that that's a good thing.

I've started getting up early, like 7:30 am even though my earliest class doesn't start until 10. Today I made tea and toast and did yoga and went for a (very) short run. I like running. I want to do it more. This could be a routine. I want to get in shape before I go to Hawaii.

Oh yeah, I'm going to be WWOOFing in Hawaii over Christmas break. If you don't know what WWOOF is, go here. I'm going to be living and working on an organic farm and meditation center where every day starts at 8 am with swimming, surfing, and chanting. I'm ready to live some real life and be with the earth for a while. And I'm proud of myself for not giving in to the pressure to go back to New Jersey. I don't need that shit.

But first, first I have to make it through the semester. Tomorrow is my first day teaching poetry and performing arts classes at the Hendricks Education Center here in Beloit, an alternative high school for kids who couldn't handle the public school for whatever reason. I'm excited to see what kind of words get written and said. Then in two weeks I'm going back to Chicago for a few days. I'd go for the whole week but I need to stay here to keep up with the class at Hendricks.

For all the pain and frustration, the difficulty of giving up the Beloit mindset (the sound of a turd dropping into a river) while still living here and work and work and work on trusting that change is not only possible but inevitable, and fear that it won't come and ....well, I'd say I'm doing just fine.

Hey, you, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Who knows where I'll be next year?

No comments:

Followers